Did you know….
Approximately 1 in 12 Canadians suffer from 1 of over 7,000 types of rare diseases?
Despite this, Canada is the only country in the developed world without a Federal Healthcare Policy that addresses this segment of the population.
What does this mean?
It means that for 1 in 12 Canadians……
- Pharmaceutical companies have no incentive to develop therapies because individual patient populations are so small.
- It means that even when therapies DO exist, they can face delayed approval by the Federal government, and are prohibitively expensive for individual families to afford on their own.
- It means that even when rare therapies ARE approved by the Healthcare system, it is left to individual provinces to decide whether they will foot the bill – leaving patients prisoners in their own provinces.
So what is needed?
What is needed is a National Healthcare Plan that encourages
- New Drug Discovery for individual rare diseases
- A revamped process for the approval of these therapies
- A national commitment to fund their costs for individual families
Join us on February 29, 2012, International Rare Disease Day. in telling our Members of Parliament to Be Fair 2 Rare.
Click on one of the links to the right to sign the petition, make a donation, or purchase one of the Be Fair 2 Rare scarves from Roots Canada!